So here it is, a week and a half later and I'm just now getting a chance to write my birth story. It's going to be long so get comfy!
I had my 40 week appt on Tuesday April 27th and I was once again 1.5 cm dilated and 90% effaced so no change for 3 weeks. Since I was overdue we set up another appointment for Friday for me to have a non-stress test done and a bio physical profile done to check M's fluid level. So Tuesday I decided that Thursday would be my last day of work.
At about midnight Friday morning (Thursday going into Friday) I woke up with a pretty painful contraction. I laid there and waited for another but nothing happened. About 4:30 am I woke up again with another contraction and then had another one about 30 minutes later. So I decided to go ahead and get up since I couldn't sleep because they were pretty uncomfortable. My Mom got up about 5:15 and saw me on the couch and she said that morning that today would be the day. I was not convinced.
My Mom and I went to my appointments that morning and I told my Dr. that I was having contractions about every 30 minutes but she kinda brushed it off as no big deal. M passed both her non-stress test and the her profile test. My Dr. said that she would go ahead and induce me the following Tuesday on May 4th. I left the Dr. excited that there was a light at the end of the tunnel.
Mom and I left the hospital and went out to lunch and did a little shopping. All the while, I was still having contractions every 30 minutes. Around 3pm I had a really bad contraction but was still in denial that I was in the beginning stages of labor.
About 5PM Babies.R.Us called to let me know our dresser was in so Mark, my Mom, my Dad, and I all loaded up in the car to go and get it. On the way to BRU my contractions moved to about every 15-20 minutes.
By 8pm my contractions were every 10-15 minutes and getting a lot more intense. I got in the bathtub to try and take the edge off which helped for about 45 minutes.
At 9pm I told my Mom that I was going to get serious and really time the contractions. They were now 7-10 minutes apart and were really uncomfortable. At 9:30 I told Mom that I was going to give it till 10:30 and then we were going to head to the hospital. My mom got up and went to brush her teeth and Mark started loading the car with all of our things.
At 9:45 I felt this strange feeling, rolled off the couch, and my water broke. That is an experience unlike any other and I am really happy that my water broke on it's own. It's one of those things I wanted to experience naturally. Of course I yelled for Mark and my Mom and neither one could hear me because Mark was outside and Mom had the water running in the bathroom.
I hopped in the shower to clean up and by 10 the contractions were coming really close together and were very painful.
By 10:15 we were on our way to the hospital. My contractions were now 3 minutes apart and the pain was unreal. I started to panic in the car that we weren't going to make it because there was so much pressure that I felt like I needed to push. Mark made the 45 minute trip to the hospital in 23 minutes.
When I got to triage at 11 they started my IV (took 2 tries) and my Dr. came in and checked me and I was at a 6! Talk about panic!! The first thought through my mind was that I was to far along and I couldn't get an epidural. I was wheeled to my L&D room (#16, lucky number) and the anesthesiologist was waiting on me. By 12am I had my epidural and by about 12:30 I was a whole new person!
Mom and Mark took a nap and Dad and I just sat there talked. The nurse came in every 20 minutes or so to check on me and when she came in at 1:30am she asked if I was feeling pressure. I told her that I was feeling a little pressure but nothing major. She said that she would wait an hour and then call my Dr. to come check me.
Well, not two minutes later my Dr. walked in. She checked me and I was at a 10 and ready to go! Holy cow! At 1:45am I started pushing.
I pushed for almost an hour and 45 minutes.
At 3:26am on May 1st Makayla was born. It was the most incredible thing I have ever experienced.
I needed a couple of stitches but other than that everything went great.
Start to finish I was in the hospital less than 5 hours before M was born. Both my Dr. and nurse were pretty shocked I went so fast but I must say I wouldn't have it any other way!
Now that we are home and all our company has gone back to Texas we are getting use to our new life. It's a challenge but so rewarding.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment